If you are not familiar with Project “Madeira” or would like to learn more about the Preview, please take a few minutes to read my post titled: Project “Madeira” Preview has arrived & here’s everything you need to know!
Microsoft’s Project “Madeira” Preview is available not just for Partners and ISVs, but also for end-users. Whether you are currently using Dynamics NAV today, or you are a prospect looking for your next ERP solution, you can sign up for the preview and start taking Madeira for a test drive in minutes!
Thanks to the new “Getting Started” product tour functionality, it will be very easy even for first time users to learn how to use Project “Madeira”. From navigation, to working with transactions and reporting, to getting the Universal App configured, it’s all covered under the Getting Started features. Furthermore, Help is also at hand, should you need it. Simply click the ? icon near the top right of the Project “Madeira” window and a new tab (or window) will open up with the help site.
Managed Services for Dynamics NAV vs. Project “Madeira”
At NAV Directions last year, Microsoft announced its Managed Services offering for Dynamics NAV, and at first glance, it isn’t a far cry from what we’re seeing with Project “Madeira”: On Azure, managed by Microsoft, in a multi-tenant architecture.
But one critical difference between the two is that Partners can build their own customized, vertical solution and offer these with Managed Services for Dynamics NAV.
In Project “Madeira”, all clients are essentially running the same out-of-the-box database, but with extensions that can be enabled or disabled to deliver customized functionality.
Since Project “Madeira” will be in use by customers of many different VARs and will be continuously updated, traditional customizations will not be allowed.
First Things First: System Requirements
You can find the detailed minimum system requirements here, but here is a brief summary:
- Browser: Latest version of Google Chrome for Windows, Firefox for Windows, Safari on OSX, Microsoft Edge, Microsoft Internet Explorer 10 and Internet Explorer 11
- Mobile Devices: iOS 8.4 or later for iPads and iPhones; Android 4.4.3 or higher and at least 1GB of RAM; Windows (Desktop or Phone) 8.1 or newer and at least 1GB of RAM
- Smartphones must have a minimum screen size of 4″ and tablets must have a minimum screen size of 7″
- Outlook: See the minimum system requirements link at the top of this section for full details on Outlook applications, browsers and platform support
- Office 365 is not required, but I would certainly recommend it so you can get improved productivity with Microsoft Office apps like Outlook, Excel, and Word.
Now let’s get you signed up…
Step 1: Set up your Project “Madeira” login
The Project “Madeira” Preview is only available in the United States at this time.
With that out of the way, let’s go to http://madeira.microsoft.com (http://www.projectmadeira.com also works).
Continue reading “Getting started with Project “Madeira” Preview & First Impressions”